1 pound okra (trimmed into 1 1/2-inch pieces lengthwise)
1 tbsp vegetable oil (divided)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium onion (finely diced)
2 medium tomatoes (finely diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 inch ginger (minced or julienned)
1 green chili pepper (like jalapeno or serrano, minced, optional)
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika (or cayenne for more heat. You can adjust this quantity up or down per your taste)
Juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
2 tbsp cilantro (finely minced, for garnish)
• Preheat oven to 375. Toss the okra with 1/2 tsp of oil and place on a rack on a sheet pan. Roast at 375 degrees for 8 minutes, tossing halfway through, or until the okra is almost tender. The okra should still look green, and should have a slight bite when your teeth dig into it. Set aside.
• Heat the remaining oil in a kadhai or wok or skillet. Add the cumin seeds and when they darken slightly, add the onions with a pinch of salt. Saute until the onions are translucent and begin to brown. Add the ginger and garlic and green chili peppers if using and continue to saute for a couple more minutes.
• Add the tomatoes, mix, then add the powdered spices -- coriander powder, turmeric, paprika or cayenne and garam masala. You want to saute the tomatoes only until they are very mushy and have let go of all their liquid, making a nice sauce.
• Add a cup of water to the tomatoes and onions and bring to a boil. Season with salt and add the prepped okra to the sauce. Stir to mix and continue cooking 3-4 minutes until the flavors meld together and the okra is cooked to your liking. Juice the lemon over top.
• Sprinkle on the cilantro and serve hot.
Each week our CSA gets recipes along with their Shares. Here we've collected all the recipes from previous years.